Re: [News] Microsoft's Lip Service to Open Source Software

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 22 March 2007 15:15 \__

http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=7062E576%2D6849%2D467D%2D89F3%2D318D41EB8764

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2105307,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

> If you were to put all the great database engines in order of rank of raw
> power and developer capabilities, then they would be the Oracle's and the
> Unidata's and those of that ilk, then would be Foxpro next to Paradox with
> Paradox C engine. These two were pretty much at the same level, some
> limitations on both, but both powerfull database engines.
>
> MS intend this as a carrot, give away something that is less popular than
> it once was. But actually they are giving a database engine that still has
> the potential to rank high, certainly on a desktop or small office. The
> down side being that as far as I know, and I just checked online so I
> believe this is true, Foxpro is only for MS platforms (thinks: I'm sure
> they used to be a UNIX side of this particular engine, maybe my memory is
> playing up).
>
> Still, for MS users OpenSource Foxpro will be well worth looking in to. How
> it would compare to a MSSQL2005 I am not really sure, but my dealings with
> MSSQL didn't make me want to dash out and get an MS platform for my own or
> company use. But I might be tempted if I felt that Foxpro could do a better
> job for some areas than my current UNIX/Linux database engines. Basic in
> database engines is all very well, but they is an extra level of magic
> involved if you can use your C and/or an external script file or two.

I'm not sure about the licence, but I think they bound it to something rather
restrictive. I first read about it several days ago, but chose not to post
it. IIRC, it was 'open source' (for your eyes only), but nothing like Free
software.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S