Re: [News] Yahoo Among the Few That Took Oracle's Linux Support

Mark Kent wrote:

>> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 11:59 \__

>>> They will be more as the current 1, 2 and three year contracts come up
>>> for renewal.
>>>
>>> I know this is an area we disagree on Roy, but I really think that even
>>> in the short time that Oracle came into the picture they have forced
>>> Redhat to stop sitting on their thumbs and get back out there and see
>>> what people want. Plus of cause, Oracle may well end up giving a much
>>> better overall service than Redhat could possibly manage. I really do
>>> not see Oracle as a Linux enemy, we can not hold on to companies that
>>> reach the top then just sit on their money piles, as Redhat did.
>>> Competition has woken them up, I am sure the market place is large
>>> enough for more than one Linux support company.
>>
>> Yes, I'm beginning to accept this. You know and understand that stuff
>> /far/ better than me.
>>

> I think a lot of it is about the attitudes shown by senior people.
> There appears to be a strong playground bullying mentality in US senior
> people when speaking about their competition, which can see downright
> childish and arrogant when looked at from a European perspective.
>
> I suspect that what grated with the Oracle approach was not that they
> entered the market (why shouldn't they?), but that they were so
> aggressive and dismissive about Red Hat.  My feeling is always that if
> companies are prepared to behave like that about their competition, why
> would they treat customers any differently?

I do agree with what you say, I really don't know how well Oracle will
perform with Linux support.

All I can go by is their history in other areas in my own experience, their
support has always been expensive but extremely good compared with
companies in the same arena, in the past dealings with them I didn't deal
with morons who read notes off a screen, if you needed an expert you got an
expert, you didn't have to ask, their staff were well trained they knew
what was an emergency and what wasn't.

Oracle databases were always in the big side of the database arena, banks,
traders, manufacturing etc, Oracle knew that if something went wrong it was
always going to involve very expensive down time, so they were quick to
help, not only with the databases but with the platforms they were on and
related communications equipment, sometimes they would sub-contract areas,
other times deal with it themselves, but you only needed the one emergency
phone number because they did the rest of it. One or more of their people
would be on the phone for as long as necessary to help you repair the
system, one that stayed with me all night once I felt very guilty that he
was missing a company christmas dinner.

I am talking quite a few years ago, but I have no reason to believe their
cover is less than it was back then.

Redhet definately don't cover in anything like the same way as Oracle can,
ok so in these mirrored days emergencies such as the one mentioned above
are unlikely to happen, but what about the related equipment, Redhat has no
interest in your communications racks. So you would have at least two
contracts to cover the same area as Oracle can cover.

Oracle have always been the sort of company to push their prices up to a
max, but if you argued there was always room for negotiation. But they
could skin you a bit because once you had experienced their support you
would have been willing to pay anything just to have that safety net under
you.

Can Oracle do all this for Linux? I don't really know, I haven't seen what
prices they intend to charge, I suspect that being less than Redhat's then
they are stages involved to get the sort of over all cover I am talking
about, but I for one think they should be given a fair chance.

I also think that Oracle should send me a full version of Oracle database
for my personal use by way of a thankyou, could you send it to me ready
installed on a Sun Fire X4500, ta.