Re: [News] Details About Post-Vista Microsoft Leak Through Blog

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 15:46 \__

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

> Wait a minute.
>
> The reason the Windows programmers said it took them five years to write
> Vista was that it was built "from the ground up".   Now, 60% of the code
> needs to be "rewritten" ?!!

In late 2005, if I recall the time correctly, Longhorn was thrown to the
wastebasket and Windows XP (well, 2003 Server, which is very similar to SP2)
was picked up. It was a fresh start Around March 2006 they reached feature
freeze and began testing. Bear in mind that they did not add features
because they didn't want to face the risk of another 'development collapse'
or 'reboot' (Microsoft's own words). Visual stuff, DRM, and some
applications were then added on top, but we're talking about months of work
and insufficient testing. It was all done in a rush and a lot of the code,
which was rewritten over the years (adding modularity and other traits),
still lies in the wastebasket.

Many of the so-called 'features' in Vista have existed in Linux for a long
time. The masses to whom computing is synonymous with Windows actually
believe things were innovated, until you set them straight. You find a lot
of this in discussions where Mac and Linux users call Vista 'features'
bluff.

Windows - meat market for other people's idea. Poor quality is a standard,
which explains not just the bugs, but also stability and security issues.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Proprietary, lockin-based tools lead to regrets. Doc(umen)tor, heal thyself.
Tasks: 135 total,   1 running, 129 sleeping,   0 stopped,   5 zombie