Re: The 38 Billion Dollar Question

  • Subject: Re: The 38 Billion Dollar Question
  • From: "Ramon F Herrera" <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 21 Mar 2007 13:30:34 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mar 21, 7:29 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 11:33 \__
>
> > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>
> >> I just read in the CNN scrolling text that a computer at Alaska's
> >> Department of Revenue wiped out a $38 billion account.
>
> >> -Ramon F Herrera
>
> > I just emailed them and said I would like to withdraw my $38 billion and
> > they wrote back saying 'The computer says no'.
>
> They called Microsoft in. Why no backups? And why a single click away from
> formatting the drive?
>
> --
>                 ~~ Best wishes
>
> Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"http://Schestowitz.com |     GNU/Linux     ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
> Mem:    514480k total,   480352k used,    34128k free,     6856k buffers
>      http://iuron.com- next generation of search paradigms

They had tape backups, but they were unreadable. I am convinced that
this wouldn't have happened to IT managers who select U*ix (who by
definition are more responsible than their Windows-oriented
counterparts) or to a U*ix sysadmin (who by definition are more
knowledgeable than their Windows counterparts).

I am talking about servers, which are what I work with. I am willing
to accept WinXP (not Vista) in the desktops, since those are less
likely to cause damage to the systems. I draw the line in the server
room.

-Ramon