Re: [News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Gotchas

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 09 May 2007 16:24 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Dell Limits Ubuntu Linux Sales
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If you're planning to load up on Dell?s new Ubuntu Linux systems
>> | for a corporate department or small business, Dell may have a
>> | surprise for you. As the old saying goes, read the fine print.
>> `----
>>
>> http://techiqmag.com/2007/05/08/dell-limits-ubuntu-linux-sales/
>>

> We knew the 5 PC limit a while ago, it isn't really fine print. That is
> reasonable because they are potentially a lot of buyers but probably a
> scaled production in place, waiting to see if it takes off. So to reduce
> the risk of many frustrated buyers having to wait for the next batch to be
> built and tested it is better to spread out the machines that are ready to
> many different orders.
>
> It must be tempting for companies to want to flood departments with these
> machines, but we have to be reasonable about it, Dell are taking a risk in
> this and we have to let them scale production to best match the orders,
> whilst keeping up with other products.
>
> We here know the potential is great both for Dell and for Linux, but but
> potential alone isn't enough, the sales have to materialise too.
>
> I do still think that it would be good for Dell to add support people to
> Ubuntu's site and direct their users there rather than try to deal with too
> many of them themselves. There is already a large fag built up that new
> users can make use of.

The important impact, however, is likely to come from acceptance.

Pre-loaded Linux = Increased adoption?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Dell pre-loading Linux will have a significant impact on
| Linux adoption, although not necessarily because so many end
| users comfortable with Windows will decide to switch. Rather,
| Dell's involvement will motivate many hardware manufacturers
| to make reliable Linux drivers available, the lack of which
| has significantly retarded the adoption of Linux by many
| individuals and organizations interested in trying out Linux.
| By reducing the barrier of drivers and thereby enabling these
| trials, Linux will start to achieve some momentum, which will
| in turn increase its adoption rate. So, I applaud Dell for
| moving forward on this initiative."
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/05/01/pre-loaded-linux-increased-adoption/

Linux: Driver Support is Key

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/28/9655.aspx

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
Tasks: 118 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie