Re: [Rival] Outspoken Microsoft Employee: We Need a Reboot

__/ [ p5000011 ] on Monday 07 May 2007 16:48 \__

> On Mon, 07 May 2007 08:00:04 -0700, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>> More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=30516
>>>
>>> Software Notebook: Microsoft's cash pile isn't what it used to be
>>
>> I thought they already did a 60% code rewrite.  It needs another one
>> already?
>
> Wasn't it Alchin that said Windows needed a 60% rewrite? Wasn't
> Vista's delay blamed by some troll that Microsoft had to divert
> resources from Longhorn / Vista to get XP SP2 out the door? I do not
> believe Microsoft have had time to do a 60% rewrite and hence why
> Vista is so buggy.
>
>> Why is it that Linux never needs a 60% code rewrite?  The Linux team
>> must be doing something wrong.
>
> Part of the Windows 60% rewrite would clearly be major design changes.
> Microsoft don't have time. I think it is even too late for them to do
> an Apple and base Windows on a BSD flavour.

Too late? Not necessarily. They will still have some market share left by the
time they finish. However, choosing to take this route would be a public
admission of failure, an admission that UNIX-type systems are inherently
better, and many Windows applications may no longer work. That said, Vista
has already kicked many legacy applications (particularly third-party
applications) to the curb.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
Tasks: 108 total,   2 running, 104 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie