Re: [News] Microsoft Silverlight promises to modernize the Web

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Silverlight promises to modernize the Web
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 06:46:33 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 05 May 2007 05:03:58 +0100
<4095196.UOpEhpPnCB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 04 May 2007 15:59 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
>> <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 4 May 2007 14:55:52 +0100
>> <8kqrg4-rg7.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Yes it is... Roy posted some material some time ago where Microsoft
>>> employees were told to "f*ck with samba".
>>
>> It ain't done until Samba won't run.  Can't be too careful
>> with Al Qaeda running amount, it might lead to dancing.
>> Oh, wait, wrong newsgroup.
>>
>> (Side issue:
>> http://slashdot.org/articles/05/08/02/2219208.shtml
>> suggests that the "DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run" is
>> a bit of a myth, though it's hard for me to say which way
>> -- and DOS stands for "Dumb, Ossified, and Stupid" anyway
>> by now, though FreeDOS at least allows it to be dumb,
>> ossified, stupid, and freely available with source code.)
>>
>> Once a monopolist...

>>> That's why it's not been all that easy for them to break samba.  Had
>>> they been really cute and designed their OS in a modular way, then they
>>> could quite possibly have just forced upgrades on people in the same way
>>> as they do with their applications, however, they have not been able to
>>> do so.  Possibly they also prefer to encourage people to replace a whole
>>> os?
>>>

>> Every 3 years.
>
> Here's the missing reference, FWIW:
>
> FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Vista is to ship with a new version of SMB, called SMB2. At
> | minute 40 in this FLOSS Weekly podcast, Jeremy Allison of
> | Samba talks of behavior that will flood the network with
> | 1500 packets just to do a network file delete. This will
> | turn Vista computers into a DOS (Denial of Service) attack
> | upon Samba based computers on the network.
> `----
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 'In the section of the interview from around 33m30s to 39m00 Jeremy
> | Allison reports how he was told that the Microsoft team implementing
> | SMB2 were ordered to "f**k with Samba".'
> `----
>
> http://www.twit.tv/floww14

Sounds more like dumb programming.  "Uh, gee, Wally,
we've just deleted this file so now we have to reload the
entire directory?"

Although it's probably more complex than that.  I suspect
a client program deletes the file, checks the parent
directory for updates, finds that the parent directory's
mod time has changed (since that file was just deleted),
and then reloads everything.

Whoops?  Wonder why this deluge of network traffic's happening?

Hmmm...does Windows change a directory's mod times when a file
is deleted?

Ye gods.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #11823822: