Re: [News] India's Hopes/Plans for $10 Laptops; Microsoft Vision of UMPC Dies

  • Subject: Re: [News] India's Hopes/Plans for $10 Laptops; Microsoft Vision of UMPC Dies
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:05:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Guy Fawkes <spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> HRD hopes to make $10 laptops a reality
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | So far, the cost of one laptop, after factoring in labour charges,
>> | is coming to $47 but the ministry feels the price will come
>> | down dramatically considering the fact that the demand would
>> | be for one million laptops.
>> `----
>>
>> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/TOIonline/India/HRD_hopes_to_make_10_laptops_a_reality/articleshow/1999849.cms
>>

> This is crap, there's no way you can build a $10 laptop today or even a $50
> one. The numbers simply do not add up. This is another Indian pie-in-the-sky
> story just like that low-cost Indian computer of about 5 years ago, it died
> without ever seeing the light.

How can you be sure?  When the first portable transistor radios were
being made, they cost hundreds of quid.  Now they're available for less
than a fiver.  Production costs go down, technology moves on, prices
continue to fall.  It would be an interesting excercise to work out what
the costs would need to be at in order to produce at that price, and how
you could get there.  I'm quite sure that given enough production
volume, it could be done.  The question is can you find the initial
funding to build the fab, and will you get the sales.  If you build the
fab and don't sell anything, then your first production run would be the
most expensive computers built since Collosus.