[News] [Rival] Stick USB Device into Windows, Get Pwned

New Worm Targets Portable Memory Drives

,----[ Quote ]
| The SillyFD-AA worm searches for removable drives such as floppy
| disks and USB memory sticks and creates a hidden file called
| autorun.inf so that a copy of the worm runs the next time the
| device is connected to a computer running Windows.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news97579079.html

How can the insertion of a device lead to invocation of executables (other
than the handler in the kernel)? This is just foolish design that lacks the
notion of (mis)trust.

Related:

Hackers debut malware loaded USB ruse

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware purveyors deliberately left USB sticks loaded with a Trojan
| in a London car park in a bid to trick users into getting infected.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/25/usb_malware/

Security Experts Warn of a Worm Creeping into PCs Via USB Ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Experts at MicroWorld Technologies has warned of increased
| occurrences of a Worm with Trojan potentials, which has been
| infecting Enterprise systems and home PCs for the past two weeks.
`----

http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/security-experts-warn-of-a-worm-creeping-into-pcs-via-usb-ports/

Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

,----[ Quote ]
| Users who connected the McDonalds-branded MP3 player to their
| Windows PC were exposed to spyware code programmed to transmit
| their web passwords and other sensitive information to hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/16/mcd_spyware_mp3_recall/

Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows Virus

,----[ Quote ]
| We recently discovered that a small number - less
| than 1% - of the Video iPods available for purchase
| after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer
| carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus. This known
| virus affects only Windows computers...
`----

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

Apple blames Windows for iPod virus