Re: [News] [Linux] Dell's Linux PCs Will Indeed Be Cheaper Than Windows PCs

On 2007-05-07, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> __/ [ AB ] on Monday 07 May 2007 10:28 \__
>
>> On 2007-05-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>> A step up for Microsoft rival
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/314124_dellfolo03.html
>>
>> Gosh! I thought Bilge/Analus Erectus said the machines had to be *more*
>> expensive because Dell would have to run 2 different lines or start and
>> stop production on a single line. Not to mention 2 different
>> inventories of drives, 2 different inventories of hardware (cheapie
>> crap that all runs in software for Windows, stuff that does its own
>> work for linux), and a lot of other costly overhead.
>>
>> I guess they forgot to consult him on this.
>>
>>> Hopefully there will not be some coupon gotcha.
>
> Don't forget third-party software that's unwanted. Let's see if there's a
> coupon gotcha. If not, then it's good news indeed. On the left you have a
> bloated MEII with lots of software you'll spend hours removing (Registry
> will carry leftover baggage) and on the right you have a machine with a lot
> more software such as OpenOffice installed. No garbage, just goodness. It's
> also cheaper, more flashy (Beryl/XGL), more stable, and more modern. I
> wonder if they'll deliver it with the brown/orange theme or choose something
> which more people perceive as 'enterprise level', whatever that is.

The theme turns me off. Hopefully they'll put somethinga bit more
appealing to most people who won't know how to change it right off.

I can't imagine Dell would do anything to sabotage this, like finding a
means to charge more through some sort of trick. That would be plain
stupid to do right off. They might try something like that longer term,
after they have something of a market going. But doing it early on
would work to prevent what they want, or seem to want, to establish.

--
Vista: You thought ME was bad.....