Re: [News] [Linux] OLPC Works Great with Linux While Windows Doesn't Support Enough Hardware

thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Heh, I had to chuckle when I read that domain name. For those that don't get the reference, it refers to a really old debugging trick.
You pre-initialize your unallocated RAM with the hex value 0xdeadbeef.

I first came across it on an RS6000 running AIX: [user] uninitialised registers showed 0xdeadbeef when using a debugger. I even chuckled back then.[1]

[1] After using the previous GEC4190 system (& the Pyramid that stood in whilst the GEC was replaced by the RS) it was quite novel.