[News] [SOT] The Open Web Will Replace Traditional Media/Entertainment Industry

Online TV viewing 'on the rise'

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost half of European broadband users are using their computers to
| watch television online, a survey claims.

Internet TV may pose threat to Cable Companies by Decade's End.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cable Version of "Wireless Conversion" is going to happen. We just need
| a name for it.
`----

http://pulverblog.pulver.com/archives/006905.html

Cisco: Social networks will define media consumption

,----[ Quote ]
| So many media choices for consumers has made Hollywood even more
| dependent on mass hits, he said. And the way to understand what
| consumers want? Social networks.
|
| "It's the beginning of the solution to all of these problems. If
| you want someone to see your stuff and pay for it you have to
| figure out how you're going to distribute it."
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6181039.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

They think that DRM ('renting' content) and law changes that kill disruptive
trends (e.g. Internet radio) will save them. Very similar to what's
happening in the Free software world.