Re: [News] Dell's Linux PCs withheld from UK

__/ [ 7 ] on Thursday 03 May 2007 16:45 \__

> Rafael wrote:
>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39286942,00.htm
>>
>>> Dell's Linux PCs withheld from UK
>>> Richard Thurston ZDNet UK
>>> Published: 03 May 2007 11:37 BST
>>>
>>> Dell will not sell Linux PCs in the UK ? at least for the time
>>> being.
>>>
>>> The PC supplier said on Tuesday it would sell machines with
>>> Ubuntu Linux pre-installed later this month. But Dell has told
>>> ZDNet UK that the systems will be only be sold in the US for
>>> now. It refused to reveal any timescale for the sale of such
>>> systems in the UK.
>>>
>>> In a statement sent to ZDNet UK, Dell said: "Currently these
>>> are only being offered in the US. Dell is still working out
>>> details of its global programme." The company refused to put a
>>> timescale on when UK users might benefit.
>

> Who cares?
> In the UK, eSys machines are available from Ebuyer
> for 127 pounds preloaded with Linux http://www.ebuyer.com
> They are 80Gb, 256Mb RAM, 2.5GHz machines and eSys now
> make own motherboards so quality is as good as any big
> manufacturer. I've been using them for years without problems.
>
> Goodbye dell$ it was nice knowing you.

Well, Dell's move gives a good reason/excuse which makes people consider
Linux seriously. That's the signifiance of the move.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake