Re: [News] [Linux] Editors in Linux Are More Than Just Editors

On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:08:58 +0100

> The Church of Emacs
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Emacs is my OS and Linux its device driver
> `----
>
> http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/178http://www.raiden.net/images/titles/title-letter-space.jpg
>
> The Text Editors of KDE
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Kate is somewhat of the all in one "Swiss army knife" of basic text
> | editors. It's got a little bit of everything for everyone that you'd
> | need in a basic text editing interface. The next step up is to go
> | directly to a full blown word processor. There really is a
> | fascinating number of things you can do with Kate, not the
> | least of which is to use it to do basic perl and php coding.
> `----
>
> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=235&pid=2

personally i prefer the editor to only be as much as a programming IDE,
well the extent of this is as far as running 'make' and going to the
line.

for those interested, here is my vim7 .vimrc:

set number		" show the current line number
set autoindent		" make block indents
set ts=8		" set the tab stops
set sw=8		" set the shift width
syntax enable		" enable syntax highlighting
colors torte		" set the colour scheme
set backspace=indent,eol,start " backspace goes wraps lines
set showcmd		" Show (partial) command in status line.
set showmatch		" Show matching brackets.
set ignorecase		" Do case insensitive matching
set smartcase		" Do smart case matching
set incsearch		" Incremental search
set autowrite		" Automatically save before commands
                        " like :next and :make
set hidden		" Hide buffers when they are abandoned
set mouse=a		" Enable mouse usage (all modes) in
                        " terminals
set background=dark	" background colour
set ru			" set the ruler
set textwidth=72	" set the wrapping width
set antialias		" font antialias
set encoding=utf-8	" file format encoding
setlocal spell spelllang=en_gb
set spell		" set the spell checker (needs aspell)

if has("spell")
  " turn spelling on by default
  set spell

  " toggle spelling with F4 key
  map <F4> :set spell!<CR><Bar>:echo "Spell Check: " . strpart("OffOn",
3 * &spell, 3)<CR>

  " they were using white on white
  highlight PmenuSel ctermfg=black ctermbg=lightgray

  " limit it to just the top 10 items
  set sps=best,10
endif

--
The DS3 to www.panic.net is in a battle with the dark side because of
the Dali-Lama. The Rebel Alliance is asleep.