Re: Credit where it's due. Thank you Microsoft.

__/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Wednesday 02 May 2007 09:53 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 14:01 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

>>> Possibly.  I'll get back to you on a case by case basis :)
>>>
>>> The problem with that line of thinking is that everything Microsoft
>>> does can be seen to effect Linux in one way or another.
>>>
>>> Take an example, the Microsoft/Novell deal was Linux news, the Vista
>>> sales figures are not.
>>>
>>> I know none of that is much help to you, but there you go.
>>>
>>> One final thought for you to ponder, this is comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>> not comp.os.linux.news.  While Microsoft stabbing Linux in the back
>>> is probably linux news, posting about it is unlikely to be linux
>>> advocacy.
>>
>> Good points. I'll bear them in mind. I'm still undecided on this...
>> you see, the way I perceive this, Microsoft has many strategies
>> planned behind closed doors. When they are implemented, we need to
>> 'backward-engineer' these strategies and understand what trick/s
>> Microsoft has up its sleeve.
>
> I'd agree that the linux movement needs to understand what Microsoft is
> doing, in fact as members of that movement we all need to understand
> that. However, this forum is not necessarilly the best place to make
> that information known.
>
> While we are Linux users, we're also Linux advocates. We are here to
> advocate linux, i.e. to try to encourage others to try Linux.  Your news
> posts _about_ Linux are very good advocacy, they let people know that
> Linux is growing and maturing.
>
> The news posts that deal with Microsoft on the other hand, are not aimed
> at encouraging new linux users. They are, as you pointed out, aimed at
> keeping existing Linux users informed.
>
> As I said, that's a worthy goal, and I'm not saying it isn't needed, but
> I do think that this forum is the wrong place for it.

Hmmm... I suppose this means that tagging would not be useful (new users
haven't filters). :-S

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: does exactly what it says on the tin
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie