Re: [News] Dell now teasing us regarding Ubuntu on select desktops

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 20:06 \__

> (OK, so I fudged the title a bit. :-) )

> [begin excerpt]
>
>     "Dell are going to work with us to make sure Ubuntu
>     works fully on its hardware," said Chris Kenyon,
>     Ubuntu's director of business development.
>
>     "For us it is a strong endorsement of Ubuntu and the
>     unique support model we provide," he told the BBC.
>
>     Open-source software is developed by thousands of
>     developers, and is usually free to use and download.
>
>     Firms like Canonical make money by providing software
>     support for users of the operating system.
>
>     Dell has not yet confirmed which computers it will
>     sell with Ubuntu pre-installed, only to say that it
>     would offer Ubuntu 7.04 as an option on select consumer
>     models in the United States in the coming weeks.
>
> [end excerpt]
>
> It'll be interesting to see how they structure this.

As I understand this, 4 models (including low-end machines) will have Ubuntu
preloaded, probably with eye candy enabled and maybe without the
browse/orange theme. If Novell's reorganisation goes through, they might
even get those PCs into the high-street shops.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s):  21.3% user,   2.5% system,   0.6% nice,  75.6% idle