Re: [News] Dell now teasing us regarding Ubuntu on select desktops

__/ [ John Locke ] on Wednesday 02 May 2007 00:55 \__

> On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:18:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 20:06 \__
>>

>>> (OK, so I fudged the title a bit. :-) )
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6610901.stm
>>>
>>> [begin excerpt]
>>>
>>>     "Dell are going to work with us to make sure Ubuntu
>>>     works fully on its hardware," said Chris Kenyon,
>>>     Ubuntu's director of business development.
>>>
>>>     "For us it is a strong endorsement of Ubuntu and the
>>>     unique support model we provide," he told the BBC.
>>>
>>>     Open-source software is developed by thousands of
>>>     developers, and is usually free to use and download.
>>>
>>>     Firms like Canonical make money by providing software
>>>     support for users of the operating system.
>>>
>>>     Dell has not yet confirmed which computers it will
>>>     sell with Ubuntu pre-installed, only to say that it
>>>     would offer Ubuntu 7.04 as an option on select consumer
>>>     models in the United States in the coming weeks.
>>>
>>> [end excerpt]
>>>
>>> It'll be interesting to see how they structure this.
>>
>>As I understand this, 4 models (including low-end machines) will have
>>Ubuntu preloaded, probably with eye candy enabled and maybe without the
>>browse/orange theme. If Novell's reorganisation goes through, they might
>>even get those PCs into the high-street shops.
>
> Well..its a start. Hope HP follow up on this. If they load it on a
> laptop, I'll bet they get a lot of sales.

I was thinking about one of these 'business class' wallpapers, a blue-black
theme, translucencies and shadows, and of course... Beryl/XGL enabled. Some
of their low-end models (mentioned in the first 'Ubuntu leak') have a decent
GPU, so that'll work well. If they put it on display next to the Vista
machines, you'll see people queuing to see that bizarre system from the
future. I used an iMac yesterday (my supervisor's secretary is apprently fed
up with Windows and she finds her new Mac to be much more intuitive).
Anyway, it was not 'Beryl class'. It was fine, but more about style than
substance. The same goes for Mac OS 9 which I used at work for a year or
two. It's not a tool for work, but maybe I just fail to see how to make it a
power user's appliance that's a flexible workhorse. Macs are like a TV with
a power switch, but it's no VCR.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
Cpu(s):  22.1% user,   2.6% system,   0.6% nice,  74.8% idle