Re: Ballmer does a factoid.SHUFFLE © ..

> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 01:54 \__
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
>>
>>> 'Q: A few years ago, the Justice Department investigated Microsoft and
>>> charged it with anti-competitive practices. Now, you're asking the
>>> Justice Department to look at Google's deal to pay $3.1 billion for
>>> Internet ad company DoubleClick. Do you see at least a little bit of
>>> irony here?'
>>>
>>> 'A: .. I do think that it would be worth the regulators taking the time
>>> to understand this market ..'
>>>
>>> 'Q: .. you let Google outbid you'
>>>
>>> 'A: No, no. You don't know that. You know that they signed a definitive
>>> agreement .. That's the only factoid I'll confirm, what you know ...'
>>>
>>> http://snipurl.com/1isvr
>>>
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2007-04-29-ballmer-ceo-forum-usat_N.htm
>>
>> From what I've read, Microsoft did eventually match Google's bid,
>> exceeded it in fact, but DoubleClick turned them down anyway.
>>
>> Why DoubleClick turned them down is anyone's guess, but the speculation
>> has ranged from them lacking confidence in Microsoft's search
>> technology, to them basically just disliking Microsoft.
>>

> http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/2007/04/23/doubleclick-turned-down-microsofts-higher-bid
>> http://scobleizer.com/2007/04/22/doubleclick-turned-down-microsoft-money/
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/003561.php
>
> I thought Microsoft had outbid them, but companies know that deal with
> Microsoft are intended to just eliminate emerging trends.

Microsoft's record of killing their partners is so strong that I would
be extremely nervous about reaching any agreement with them at all.  The
doubleclick people have always been an internet business, something
Microsoft have never been, so I would put confidence in the doubleclick
folk knowing what they are doing.