[News] [Linux] Boeing Uses Linux for Entertainment System as Well

[I suspect it was only Airbus in the past]

Boeing 777 - The Linux Penguin Lives

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting how much Linux has made in roads into our lives. It
| seems that some of the aairlines who use the Boeing 777 are using
| Linux as their entertainment center.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/05/18/boeing-777-the-linux-penguin-lives/
http://tinyurl.com/2hwrgu

Related:

Real-time Linux helps design military cargo plane

,----[ Quote ]
| Airbus reportedly tapped real-time Linux in designing its A400M
| military transport plane, set to ship this year. Concurrent said
| it supplied the German airplane manufacturer with real-time
| Linux-based systems used for hardware-in-loop (HIL) simulation
| test stands used to perfect the A400M's "high-lift control computers."

Demo features POSIX-compliant separation kernel, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| LynuxWorks says its simulated aircraft demo for EAC shows a pair
| of applications running on a Linux guest OS, alongside a secure
| application running on top of LynxSecure. The demo will show that
| failure of the guest Linux OS does not impair operation of the
| LynxSecure application, the company says.

| "Open source video games (and a future invitation for savvy linux game
| developers to participate in Red)"
`----

http://www.letvafly.com/VADIFE.php

An entire airplane booting GNU/Linux.

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=17308794&size=l

Linux headed into Boeing anti-sub aircraft

,----[ Quote ]
| Boeing has awarded Wind River Systems a contract to embed its version
| of Linux into a new military aircraft, the company plans to announce
| Monday along with a new batch of products built around the
| open-source operating system.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6100043.html?part=rss&tag=6100043&subj=news

Over 30s VAX, Linux breeds Boeing's new jets

,----[ Quote ]
| Hawker de Havilland, the local arm of aircraft engineering giant Boeing,
| will retire its 30-year-old VAX system in favour of its new Linux-based
| environment in the manufacture of parts for the company's next-generation
| 787 jets.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1834585068;fp;2;fpid;1

Mega hands-on: Virgin America's Airbus A320 with Red in-flight entertainment

,----[ Quote ]
| They definitely weren't kidding when they said it's got it all:
| movies on demand, pervasive music playlists, in-seat messaging
| with a QWERTY controller, touchscreen Linux consoles with
| games, the works.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/10/mega-hands-on-virgin-americas-airbus-a320-with-red-in-flight-e/

Gallery:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/mega-hands-on-virgin-americas-airbus-a320-with-red-in-flight-entertainment/

A geek's dream plane

,----[ Quote ]
| Every seat has a 9in LCD screen in the seatback in front of you that runs
| on embedded linux
`----

http://johncacka.com/a-geeks-dream-plane/

Delta Airlines runs Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, given how hard it is to get success stories/press releases/etc.
| out of enterprises, I figured I'd announce this one for Delta. Delta
| runs Linux.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/delta_airlines.html

Want YOUR game featured on Virgin America's In-Flight Entertainment
System?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.letvafly.com/mt/2007/02/want_your_game_featured_on_vir.html