Re: [News] Amazon in DRM Retreat, No Future for DRM in Sight

  • Subject: Re: [News] Amazon in DRM Retreat, No Future for DRM in Sight
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:09:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Amazon to sell unprotected music

Good.

> BBC gets TV on-demand service OK [But only if you use Windows]

Here's what I don't get. If you own a TV in the UK, then you are forced
to pay the Beeb for a license to watch their content, whether you
actually watch it or not. So here we are, all subscribing involuntarily
to their service, and subsequently accessing content that we paid for,
watching it live on TV, and recording it to video (or more likely these
days, DVD).

We already have access to unrestricted, non-DRMed versions of this
content, so what is the point in the Beeb then encrypting lo-fi versions
of that for access via the Web?

It just doesn't make any sense, at all.

WRT people in foreign countries subsequently having access to it via the
Web (i.e. non-subscriber access), it's not like those people would be
liable to pay for the broadcasts (license) in the first place anyway,
since they are not UK citizens. IOW the Beeb is not losing revenue they
would have had to begin with, so it can't be for *that* reason that
content is being encrypted.

As I said, considering the inevitable lo-fi quality of these Web
versions of their content, and the fact that it was originally aired
unencrypted anyway, this just seems like a monumentally stupid course of
action, no doubt motivated by the tin-foil RI/MP quangos and their
cronies like Microsoft.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
|    - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 19:07:45 up 30 days, 16:39,  3 users,  load average: 1.45, 1.03, 0.94