[News] [Rival] Windows Zombies Break Web, So Microsoft Wants to Rebuild Web

Microsoft man seeks to re-engineer the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| The addresses, he says, were "frightening" -- and made the need
| for directories "self-evident". Building those was his next project.
| And that's where he first came up against the idea of the central
| authority that everyone would use for everything. Imagine that: it
| would be incredibly slow, it would be incredibly expensive -- but
| it would be spam-free.

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Hotmail still riddled with spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
| Hotmail addresses are spam.
|
| [...]
|
| The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
| predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
| be "eliminated" within two years.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2188226/hotmail-riddled-spam-admits

Zombies infiltrate US military networks

,----[ Quote ]
| Support Intelligence, the firm whose research on honeynets revealed that
| the networks of at least 28 Fortune 1000 companies contained
| malware-infected spam-spewing PCs, has found evidence of bots running
| behind military networks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/16/military_botnet/

The feds weigh in on Windows security

,----[ Quote ]
| "The benefits of this move are enormous: Common, secure configurations
| can help slow botnet spreading, can radically reduce delays in patching,
| can stop many attacks directly, and organizations that have made the
| move report that it actually saves money rather than costs money,"
| Paller wrote.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html

Plusnet servers stuffed by spam

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sheffield-based outfit is in the process of migrating email to a
| new £250,000 server platform, but said its current issues were
| unrelated to the work, which should be completed within two weeks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/03/plusnet_email_spam_downtime/

Image spam fattens junk mail

,----[ Quote ]
| The increased size of spam messages, to say nothing of their volume,
| might result in higher costs for end users forced to up their
| bandwidth and storage resources.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/image_spam/

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.

[Australia:] WA infrastructure dept close to e-mail disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Western Australia's Department of Planning and Infrastructure (DPI)
| has revealed its Microsoft Exchange-based e-mail system is
| suffering frequent outages that are creating a risk of
| embarrassing public data loss.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/WA_infrastructure_dept_close_to_e_mail_disaster/0,130061791,339274592,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/395b26

Pump and dump spam comes to Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this month, the US Securities and Exchange Commission
| (SEC) had suspended trading in 35 companies that were found to
| be commonly referenced in pump-and-dump stock email campaigns.

SEC goes after stock spammers, hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| The SEC action to freeze the assets is the third filed in as many
| months involving market manipulation schemes conducted through
| online account intrusions. In the past the SEC has also taken
| action against individuals who allegedly broke into financial
| news Web sites or news release services.
|
| [...]
|
| "When spam clogs our mailboxes, it's annoying. When it rips
| off investors, it's illegal and destructive," SEC Chairman
| Christopher Cox said in a statement.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6165804.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Spam Made Up 94% Of All E-Mail In December

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=4H4VB4FGNIKEWQSNDLRSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=197001430
http://tinyurl.com/39zfap