[News] [Rival] Deeper Look at Vista Sales Figure Reveals Disappointment

Gates claims 40 million Vista sales a success

,----[ Quote ]
| The headline is simple, 40 million copies sold. Wow, we rox0rz! This
| is twice as fast as the XP adoption rate. What he didn't mention is
| that sales of PCs have more than doubled since XP came out. Silly
| Vole, no statistical cookie.

Analysts that are close to Microsoft have already decalred Vista sales
disappointing.

Related:

Vista sales rate cut in half

,----[ Quote ]
| While significant, the sales point to a rapid slowdown in adoption of
| the new operating system. Microsoft had observed that it sold 20
| million copies in the first month, which doubled XP's achievement
| but now indicates that the average number of copies sold has been cut
| in half during March and April. The firm has so far declined to
| compare its most recent figures with the relative size of the market
| today or to any decline that may have occurred during XP's 2001 release.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/15/vista.sales.halved/

Microsoft's Record Quarter: Shareholders Paid for Most of the Upside Surprise

,----[ Quote ]
| "Said another way, Microsoft achieved record breaking earnings during
| the Vista launch quarter by taking money out of its assets, not
| through amazing sales of Vista and Office."
|
| Now taking money of its savings account isn't necessarily a big deal.
| ... However, as a point in contrast, Apple Inc. has been launching a
| lot of products over the last nine months and has added almost $2
| billion to its balance sheet and assets in the same period that
| Microsoft's assets dropped $6 billion.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34354_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft Refuses to Reveal Current Vista Sales

Uh-Oh, Vista! PC Sales Levels Are Normal

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/oh_oh_vista_pc_sales_levels_are_normal.html

Channel stuffing:

http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html