Re: [News] [Rival] Office 2007 Money-grabbing and Lockins Exposed

On Tue, 15 May 2007 03:12:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Crushed by the Wheels of Industry [Lockin and Greed]
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "I'll just convert these back to the .DOC format the older versions
>| use. That's most likely the version you have at school." I told her. But
>| when I read the files in Word 2007 and eventually found the "Save As"
>| entry in the new menu system I discovered to my horror it was grayed
>| out. "This feature is only available in the full version of Office
>| 2007." popped up a helpful little message. "Click here to purchase
>| it." Getting increasingly worried, I decided to try a more desperate
>| measure. I selected the whole file and looked for the "Copy and
>| Paste" option. I might lose the formatting this way, but at least
>| I'd get the text of the essay she'd written. Copy and paste were
>| disabled in the same way, and with the same message.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6183476.html

Lol, there's no less than half a dozen ways he could have dealt with this
issue if he had applied half a braincell to it, but his hatred of things
Microsoft seemed to cloud his judgement.

1) He could have downloaded the free Word 2003 Viewer with the Document
compatibility pack to open the documents, then cut and paste the text into
OOo.

2) He could have used any of several online translators available that any
google search would have found, such as
http://blog.zamzar.com/2007/04/10/convert-docx-files-to-doc-pdf-odt-and-txt/

3) He could have used any number of open source tools that he's likely very
familiar with to extract the xnk from the zip-file compressed docx files
and strip out the xml.

4) He could have purchased the fairly cheap "student" edition of Office
2007 ($121 at amazon, cheaper elsewhere.)

5) He could have used the compatibility pack to import the file into any
older version of office and save in .doc

6) Or, he could have used the OOXML translator for OpenOffice that allows
OOo to read OOXML documents
http://download.novell.com/SummaryFree.jsp?buildid=ESrjfdE4U58~

This is the vaunted Jeremy Allison?  Gezus, Kelsey could have figured this
one out (and he's not known for figuring out anything Windows related).