[News] [Rival] Office 2007 Money-grabbing and Lockins Exposed

Crushed by the Wheels of Industry [Lockin and Greed]

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'll just convert these back to the .DOC format the older versions
| use. That's most likely the version you have at school." I told her. But
| when I read the files in Word 2007 and eventually found the "Save As"
| entry in the new menu system I discovered to my horror it was grayed
| out. "This feature is only available in the full version of Office
| 2007." popped up a helpful little message. "Click here to purchase
| it." Getting increasingly worried, I decided to try a more desperate
| measure. I selected the whole file and looked for the "Copy and
| Paste" option. I might lose the formatting this way, but at least
| I'd get the text of the essay she'd written. Copy and paste were
| disabled in the same way, and with the same message.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6183476.html

Using one user to force others to 'upgrade'. More predatory secrets come to
light.

| Having heard that Vista's CD/DVD burn utility by default uses a
| nonstandard format, possibly as a result of yet another one of
| Microsoft's lock-in schemes, I decided to check things out for myself.
| That would also give me a nice chance to see what Vista was all about.
|
| The plan was simple:
|
|     1. Locate a Vista box,
|
|     2. Bring empty CD's plus some arbitrary files on a USB stick, and
|
|     3. Burn CD's in several ways while making screenshots.
|
| As it turned out, the planning was the simplest part by far. The rest
| is best described as a tale of frustration.

DVD Burning Problem in Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://cwebster.net/2007/04/08/dvd-burning-problem-in-windows-vista/