[News] America Might Fix Its Broken Patent System

Critical vote for US patent law due

| The chief problem is that many damages awards bear little relation to the
| actual worth of the patent compared to all of the other elements which make
| up the total end product.
|
| The danger is that if the Congressional subcommittee doesn't make a
| decision soon, the potential law will go onto the backburner after July 4th
| elections.

Also see (and support):

Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure

,----[ Quote ]
| The Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII)
| is a non-profit organisation dedicated to establishing a free
| market in information technology, by the removal of barriers
| to competition. The FFII was largely responsible for the
| rejection of the EU software patent directive in July 2005,
| working closely with the European Parliament and many partners
| from industry and civil society. CNET awarded the FFII the
| Outstanding contribution to software development award for
| this work, which was the result of years of research, policy,
| and action. Today we continue to defend your right to a free
| and competitive software market by working towards sane
| patent systems and open standards.
`----

http://www.ffii.org/

More good analysis of Microsoft's patent FUD:

On Microsoft's feeble Fortune-based nastygram to Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/14/microsoft_fortune_redhat/