Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Wants Phone Lockin

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 14 May 2007 08:14:23 +0100
<2429441.9chJyWf1nY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft unveils hardware for Web phone push
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead of one system for phones and another for e-mails and
> | instant messaging, Microsoft wants all communications to run
> | over Internet networks on its Office Communicator program.
> `----
>
> http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070514:MTFH27468_2007-05-14_04-01-22_N13246827&type=comktNews&rpc=44
> http://tinyurl.com/3xlee8
>
> Look what they did with Exchange, even DirectX. To heck with standards. Make
> up your own.

And if enough people buy them, well, then Microsoft makes
a profit. :-)

An ugly mess, but perhaps it's merely because the
audience isn't paying enough attention -- but one hopes
the audience is at least awake now.  Certainly parts of
the business community are; they're using Linux in their
enterprise/intranets.

> Related:
>
>         Microsoft:
>
> "For example, we should take the lead in establishing a
> common approach to UI

Hmmm...I wonder what *this* means?  After all, the most
common UI approach is simply to use X, which is supported
by more more operating systems (Linux, Unix, VMS, and
Windows) than Win32 (Windows, Linux, Unix -- and the last
two only because WinE has implemented a substantial portion
of Windows on Linux/Unix).

> and to interoperability (of which OLE is only a part).

Ditto, though admittedly Unix hasn't that much of a solution
beyond sockets and pipes, unless one counts Bonobo or IIOP,
which aren't exactly household words.  (Yet.)

> Our efforts
> to date are focussed too much on our own apps, and only incidentally on
> the rest of the industry.

The solution is obvious: buy up the rest of the industry. :-)
(Assuming there's not a cheaper method, like pushing standards
on the rest of the industry that they readily accept.)

> We want to own these standards, so we should
> not participate in standards groups. Rather, we should call 'to me' to
> the industry and set a standard that works now and is for everyone's
> benefit. We are large enough that this can work."

Well, at least they're honest. :-)  To be sure, $50B/year
is enough to give everyone in the US about thirty free
lunches per year (though it depends on the size, quality,
and of course price of the lunch).  How big do they need to be?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.