[News] [Linux] Northwest School District to Give GNU/Linux PCs to Underprivileged Students

Students may get recycled computers

,----[ Quote ]
| All of the hard drives have been reformatted so it contains no
| district information. Each computer will also include a free set
| of software which will include a word processing application,
| a photo manipulation application and a few games along with a
| Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.wcmessenger.com/news/news/EEZlAlVkEpEFmkSpXI.php

Related:

Vista sales could boost PC recycling

,----[ Quote ]
| As customers line up to buy new PCs capable of running Microsoft
| Corp.'s new Windows Vista OS, vendors like Dell Inc. and
| Hewlett-Packard Co. (HP) are preparing to process a surge
| of discarded, outmoded computers.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/1183/070131pcrecycle/index.html

Kubuntu Takes Over Georgia; Ubuntu Summit Video

,----[ Quote ]
| Georgia is rolling out Kubuntu in all their schools. This is being
| done as part of a project to bring the internet to every school
| in Georgia.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2797

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

Primary school goes Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I prepared 5 CDs and installed 14 PCs in less than two hours,
| including account setup and Firefox preparation (start page to a
| kids friendly site, Adblock).
`----

http://www.gadgetguy.de/2007/03/12/primary-school-goes-ubuntu/

District to save money by switching computers to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Hyland said the district hopes to get all of its computers
| running Linux exclusively by 2010. By that time, administrators
| should have identified new Linux programs for Bexley students,
| including kindergartners. Hyland said she wants to get
| kindergartners started with a program that teaches typing so
| that Bexley students are familiar with technology early on.
`----

http://www.thisweeknews.com/?sec=home&story=sites/thisweeknews/022207/Bexley/News/022207-News-310108.html

Microsoft Windows ousted at California school district

,----[ Quote ]
| By this summer, all 5,000 students and 250 teachers will be working
| off of a Linux-based thin client running OpenOffice.org, and the
| majority of the district's servers will be running Novell SUSE
| Linux Enterprise Server.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1245710,00.html

Reason Why Schools Should Adopt Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Can I Import My Previous Work Into Linux? Consider this: you have
| document after document tied up into formats, such as Outlook, MS
| Publisher and so on. Now, with Outlook, I "believe" the data can bee
| xported without too much trouble. But last time I checked, your
| Publisher files were stuck as is, period. So it's fair to say
| that challenges like this can indeed, seem like a deal breaker
| for some users. I mean come on, this is  not a solution and the
| fact that Publisher is so commonly used in the Windows world is
| certainly not helping anyone. This issue would seem trivial to
| most of us, but to those who just installed Linux, it can prove
| to be frustrating.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7802

Tapping a world of schoolroom innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| SchoolTool began development in 2000 and is funded by Mark Shuttleworth,
| of the South African-based Shuttleworth Foundation, creator of the
| free Ubuntu operating system.
`----

http://www.pbn.com/stories/24545.html

Dell releases low-cost Linux desktops...in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell, for example, has sold tens of thousands of Linux-based PCs
| to elementary schools in China, running Sun Wah Linux -- a
| Chinese distribution of Linux based on Debian.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2007/0326linux2.html

Stretching the Education Dollar With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that open source solutions offer a wider range of choices
| and options than their proprietary counterparts make them truly
| useful alternatives to closed solutions, Henson says, especially
| for administrative tasks. "[W]ith open source solutions,
| organizations can freely customize the software to their
| specific requirements. This is particularly important when
| organizations wish to integrate with their existing software
| -- such as student and employee management systems. Developing
| such APIs is often extremely costly and time-consuming to
| facilitate with proprietary software vendors."

U.S. schools may join inexpensive laptop project

,----[ Quote ]
| A project that aims to deliver low-priced laptops with string pulleys
| to the world's poorest children may have a new market: U.S. schools.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2642385520070426

OLPC Linux laptop could succeed in U.S.

,----[ Quote ]