Re: [News] [Linux] Increasing Adoption of Linux Desktops and Laptops in India

__/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Saturday 12 May 2007 09:45 \__

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> Linux starts making inroads
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Adoption of desktops, notebooks and Linux is increasing in the medium
>> | business segment
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | That said, in the future, some of these companies are planning to invest
>> in
>> | Linux as they feel that it is a cost-effective platform. For e.g.,
>> | Jagsonpal Pharmaceutical have around 200 PCs running Windows but is now
>> | planning to switch to Linux. Prakash Pradhan, the company's IT Head,
>> says,
>> | "We want to replace the OS, as with Windows we face several problems
>> like
>> | virus attacks and licensing. Linux is available free and will help
>> reduce
>> | the per user cost."
>> `----
>>

> I personally believe that many Asian countries want to switch to Linux, but
> they're afraid to. Many of these Asian countries export to the U.S. and
> they don't want to anger Uncle Sam by switching to Linux. I therefore
> postulate that the Linux defections in Asia will be minor, half-hearted and
> noncommital.
>
> In the end, only if a Western nation switches completely to Linux will this
> have any real impact. Microsoft is doing everything in its power to prevent
> this, off course.

I very much agree and I also observe a lot of disinformation over there (not
always shared though c.o.l.a. nonetheless). There's a lot of effort going
into this, even if it means turning a blind eye to piracy. Fake 'studies',
stereotypes, and dirty little tricks with the OEMs. Also see the following:

I use GNU/Linux... and I am HAPPY with it!

,----[ Quote ]
| Two-three months back, there was a news in rediff.com which said that
| the biggest girls school in Kerala has changed the policy and they
| use GNU/Linux for teaching. Those small girls learning computer,
| learn GNU/Linux only and they find it very easy. As they have
| never used MS Windows, they are unbiased.
`----

http://cleverviv.wordpress.com/2007/03/02/i-use-gunlinux/

A /political/ choice was needed to actually make a difference. There's a lot
of 'persuasion' (maybe bribery). Microsoft knows that the future very much
depends on the East where the network effect plays a major role. They might
as well just sponsor these sellers of $1 Windows Vista. It's about getting
them dependent. It's about seeding those incompatibilties that make it a
nightmare for other to deviate from the 'Microsoft Way'.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
roy      pts/6                         Sat May 12 07:34 - 07:47  (00:12)