Re: Microsoft Office Annoyances

After takin' a swig o' grog, [H]omer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Here's the original thread, in which Mike Easter has to explain RFC
> standards to one of the (then) Outlook developers:
>
> <snip>
>
> <more, different source:>
>
> | What I can't figure out is why MS insists that it should be so darn
> | difficult to extract the *full un-modified source* of a message! It
> | gets harder and harder to do with each version.

> | Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP): "Because Outlook itself (unlike OE)
> | never uses the MIME source and it would be a waste of space to
> | store both the original data and the MAPI properties created by
> | parsing the MIME message. And if a message is sent between two
> | Exchange mailboxes, a mesage would never even be converted to the
> | MIME format."

> | coastaldata: "Interesting... If I understand correctly, you're
> | saying that the original message source is not saved?
> |
> | Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP): "Correct, this is exactly what I am
> | saying - the original MIME source is not normally saved because
> | that would bring no benefits to an end user and will at least
> | double the size of the message. And no user will appreciate that.
> | There is a registry entry that will force Outlook to save the
> | complete source, but it is only used by debug purposes and is not
> | set out of the box. Outlook does save the *headers* portion of the
> | MIME message in the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property. You can
> | of course re-create a MIME message from a MAPI message, but while
> | it will look exactly the same to an end user, on the binary level,
> | it will not be exactly the same as the original message."
>
> So Microsoft thinks it is acceptable to arbitrarily alter users'
> personal data, break standards, deliberately create non-interoperable
> protocols for no justifiable reason, and then dismiss any criticisms out
> of hand with arrogant statements.
>
> MAPI is a disease ... as is Microsoft.

They're Microsoft.  They're the de facto standard, right Greg?

I like the part about saving space.  Absolute silliness given today's
hard-drives.

Perhaps Microsoft, being burned by the DOJ, thinks it is best to ...
cough cough ... redact the messages?

--
Trust your programmers.  Let them play.