Re: Microsoft Aiding Linux Piracy

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Rafael on Friday

Recently I read the following in a blog:

Couple months ago, Microsoft Indonesia sweeped all internet
cafe that using illegal copy of Windows, after that moment
most of internet cafe using Linux as it's operating system.
It's a good start to introducing Linux to Indonesian.

Now, most of Computers store installed Linux in newly build
computers (including laptop).
I conclude that because of Microsoft Anti-Piracy moves, shops are
now pirating Linux on their systems!   :-)

They did the same thing in Russia and India recently.

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
| | [..]
| | According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
| software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
| Ekho Moskvi reports.

Indian dealers are squealers over Microsoft piracy raids

,----[ Quote ]
| The resellers have also planned boycotts against Microsoft.
| Those participating in the strike agreed to stop all purchases
| of Microsoft products for this quarter.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/05/18/indian_tech_vendors_protest_microsoft/

They said they would move to Linux.

I find this rather amusing. It seems the more that the proprietary attempts to combat software piracy drives more people toward Linux. The more they try to enforce their renewable OS licensing among legitimate users, the more people are looking elsewhere for solutions.

Recently I saw several Macintoshes in a department store that normally stocks Windows only computers. Although they cost a little more, they are reasonably priced. It signals a turning point in purchaser habits.

I see copies of Windows Vista, but so far every one that I have asked have no intentions to upgrade from Windows XP Home to Windows Vista Basic.

Propaganda is nothing new. People in government and industry as not stupid. The interesting effect is the more that the proprietary attempts to retain its monopolistic empire, the more people are seeing through the smoke screen and solving their proplems through other products. Propagandist acts are recognisable.

Linux is here to stay.

--
Cheers, Rafael

http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/anti_troll_faq.htm