Re: [News] [OSS] Open Source Storage Hits the Headlines Again

>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070521/tc_infoworld/88663

>> Sounds like a cross between BitTorrent and Jigdo.
>>
>> Interesting, I suppose, but I'd be wary of having my personal data
>> spread out across the planet, in little chunks.

> What if it's encrypted?

Encryption can be broken, passwords can be found with rainbow tables or
guessed with brute force attacks, etc. If that data is here, and not on
some remote server, at least I know who has access to it (i.e. nobody
but me). I just couldn't trust some stranger to keep my sensitive data
secure on a remote server.

For non-sensitive data it's fine I suppose, but then most of that kind
of data that I have tends to be multimedia files spanning several
hundred Gigabytes. I wouldn't fancy chucking that around an 8Mbps (with
a 4.5Mbps average) connection, especially with only 256kbps upload rates.

--
K.
http://slated.org

,----
| Amarok Now Playing: "/mnt/sky/The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus,
| The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In
| Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily
| Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of
| All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation.ogg"
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 03:48:46 up 35 days,  1:20,  3 users,  load average: 1.06, 0.81, 0.45