Re: [OSS] It's Time for Ogg Vorbis

On May 21, 10:09 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> How To Live an Open-Source Musical Life With Ogg Vorbis
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But with the launch of the FSF's web campaign, the time may be ripe
> | for Ogg Vorbis to truly shine. According to Chris "Monty" Montgomery,
> | creator of Ogg and founder of the Xiph.org Foundation which oversees
> | Ogg's development, such big-name backing has been a long time
> | coming.
> |
> | ... Linux users most likely have Ogg support built in to their machines
> | (but you guys already knew that).
> `----
>
> http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/05/playogg
>
> Related:
>
> 'Play OGG': FSF launches free audio format campaign
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Free Software
> | Foundation (FSF) today launched PlayOGG.org, a campaign to encourage
> | use of the patent- and license-free standard OGG Vorbis as an
> | ethically, legally and technically superior audio alternative to
> | the proprietary MP3 format.
> `----
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-fsf/2007-05/msg00001.html
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17860/Review-The-OGG-Compatible-iRive...
>
> Ogg Vorbis Gaining Industry Support
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | While Ogg Vorbis format has not gained much adoption in music
> | sales and portable players, it is not an unsupported format in
> | the industry. Toy manufacturers (e.g. speaking dolls), voice
> | warning systems, and reactive audio devices exploit Ogg Vorbis
> | for its good quality at small bit-rates.
> `----
>
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/06/1931244&from=rss
>
> Alcatel-Lucent says $1.5 billion not enough from Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Alcatel-Lucent said in a court filing that $1.5 billion is not
> | enough to properly compensate it for Microsoft Corp.'s infringement
> | of two digital audio patents.
> `----
>
> http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/alcatel-lucent-says-15-billion-...http://tinyurl.com/36hu5v

When I got my first distro, it was Ubuntu.  As they have a "no non-
free formats" philosophy, the music-player "out of the box" did not
play mp3s.  I spent quite a bit of time hunting down ogg-format music
files, and didn't have much success.  There are a lot on the Internet
Archive site, (http://www.archive.org/index.php), but it's mostly
stuff by unsigned bands - and to be frank, a lot of it was crap.  I
was much happier once I'd downloaded the mp3 codec.

Ogg-Vorbis isn't going to succeed until/unless the major record
companies adopt it.  Mp3 is pretty much /the/ music format to the
majority of users.  Of course, ogg may succeed - but if it does, it'll
be down to its superior sound quality.  And with my non-hifi equipment
I can't really tell the difference.