Re: Skype Brings Video to GNU/Linux Client!

dapunka <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On 10 Nov, 20:46, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> > ____/ Attila on Friday 09 November 2007 17:03 : \____

>> > They power breeds greed. Let's just hope they don't make friends with equally
>> > greedy companies (which tends to be the case with likeminded executives). They
>> > already deal with some dodgy parties.
>>
>> There is no way in which skype will be able to monopolise 0800 number
>> access.  In the UK, BT is *required by law* to provide equal access.
>>
>> Monopolisation cannot be done.
>
> Do you mean that if Skype offered free voip calls to UK 0800 numbers,
> BT would also have to offer the free voip calls?

That's not equal access.

Equal access means that BT is required to offer the same deal to anyone
who wants network access at various defined points in the network.
Therefore, Skype could *not* monopolise this, as the posting further up
indicated.

Of course, calls to 0800 are free anyway - you can just pick up your
phone and make it.  If you want to do that from your computer, then
asterisk and an FXO card will do the job.