[News] Linux and Choice (Because Everyone Has Unique Needs/Personality)

  • Subject: [News] Linux and Choice (Because Everyone Has Unique Needs/Personality)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:23:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux. Its all about choice!

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux gives you a choice. A choice to be you and express yourself in another
| medium. Much the same way as you express yourself in the car you drive, the
| phone that you use, the way your house is decorated and in the clothes that
| you wear. It is another way to be unique in a world were you would have
| otherwise been forced to be the same as everyone else.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/linux-its-all-about-choice-20288

The funny thing is that Windows is very much like "communism" in the sense that
it treats everyone as though people are identical and /should/ be identical.

Related:

Choice: The system of Checks and Balances in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What am I getting at here? Just that Linux has and always will be about
| choice. And although it is probably good to keep choice to a minimum when it
| comes to OEM deals (so as not to confuse the unwashed masses), it must be
| remembered that Linux can never consolidate to a point where only a few
| distros exist. Not only is it impossible given the nature of Linux and the
| needs of its users, but even if it did happen, corporate issues/politics
| could eventually muddy the development process and possibly the public
| perception of Linux in general. Smaller distros not only exist for the
| benefit of their user base; they exist as a system of checks and balances to
| the big boys and will keep the whole entire Linux ecosystem alive and moving
| well into the future.
`----

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/95008/

Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing