Re: [News] Microsoft/Novell Clone-ware the Wrong Route

[snip]

I am not suggesting that you are wilfully breaking any law, in fact I
have already stated that Microsoft (through ECMA) make RAND promises WRT
.NET (or part of it at least). But the fact is that neither you (as a
developer) nor I (as a user of what you may develop) can give any hard
assurances that anything we touch that is built upon .NET technology
won't some day be used by Microsoft to enforce their "claims" that they
have rights WRT GNU/Linux (thus justifying cross-licensing).

Ballmer has /already/ used such claims (not .NET related so far) to
coerce at least four companies into paying "protection money". The
prospect that, at some time in the future, it will be impossible to use
GNU/Linux without paying Microsoft, horrifies me.

Convince me that will never happen.

Convince me that Mono will never play a part in that.

When it comes to Mono, I am merely stating my desire of /not/ wanting to
deal with Microsoft ... ever.

I apologise if my rant seemed to be singling you out; the object of my
dissent is not /you/, it is Mono. However, I despair at those who
support it.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 21:24:15 up 89 days, 21:19,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00