Re: Google to unveil Linus-based phone software

____/ Ramon F Herrera on Sunday 04 November 2007 01:17 : \____

> "Japanese wireless carriers KDDI and NTT DoCoMo are said to be heavily
> involved in what will be called the Open Handset Alliance, according
> to other sources. The rest of the more than 30 other companies
> involved reads like a who's-who list of the mobile-computing industry,
> including Qualcomm, Broadcom, HTC, Intel, Samsung, Motorola, Sprint,
> and Texas Instruments."
>
> In other words, the only one not invited was Microsoft.
>
> -RFH

Do not fear the beast. It is going to f***ing kill Google, just as Steve
Ballmer has promised with its... errr... oh, wait... 4-6% market share. Wow!

70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
|
| Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
| 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share.
`----               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

Oh, wait.

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

*sigh* Relieving to know this... Google can be among the many companies that
will knock Symbian and iPhone (Mach kernel) off their feet... Symbian has
already resorted to anti-Linux FUD tactics, by thee way... Windows is not even
seen a danger and it will continue to be an irrelevant, negligible niche that
barely grows.

Google: organising the world's information.  Government: reorgnaising
                     the world's information (censorship) in its favour