Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Fights for Control Over the Web (the Hijack Attempts Continue)

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:31:13 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Mozilla, Microsoft drawing sabers over next JavaScript
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Eich charged in turn that Microsoft's arguments are self-serving. "At best,
>| we have a fundamental conflict of visions and technical values between the
>| majority and the minority," he wrote. "However, the obvious conflict of
>| interest between the standards-based web and proprietary platforms advanced
>| by Microsoft, and the rationales for keeping the web's client-side
>| programming language small while the proprietary platforms rapidly evolve
>| support for large languages, does not help maintain the fiction that only
>| clashing high-level philosophies are involved here."
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;554904782;fp;2;fpid;1
>
> For those who think that Linux users needn't keep an eye on Microsoft... while
> it's trying to pressure and derail everyone that questions the Monopoly off
> the Web.

Maybe you should actually investigate the situation before making stupid
comments.  Eich seems to be deliberately polarizing the community into a
"us vs. microsoft" situation, when the reality is much different.

Chris Wilson is saying that the changes being proposed for ES4 are too big
and break too much compatibility to implement a backwards compatible
solution properly. In other words, it's Mozilla that wants to "break" the
web.

Chris says that if you want to change the language that much, then a new
language should be created so there are not compatibility issues.  He's not
saying Microsoft should be the one to create that language, just that a new
language would serve the legacy web comunity better than radically altering
EcmaScript.

Eich is invested in this.  He isn't being reasonable.