[News] Linux Conquers Supercomputers, World Moves to Mobiles (Where Linux Shall Dominate Too)

  • Subject: [News] Linux Conquers Supercomputers, World Moves to Mobiles (Where Linux Shall Dominate Too)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:26:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Powers Cray XT4 Supercomputer at NERSC

,----[ Quote ]
| Beginning more than a year ago, we jointly defined design requirements then
| tested and validated a Linux operating environment for Franklin and
| ultimately Cray's entire XT product line that will be available to our vast
| community of users. We were pleased to be part of such a landmark
| accomplishment — the first true light-weight Linux kernel for HPC systems."
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/hardware/13911/linux-powers-cray-xt4-supercomputer-nersc

86% market share for Linux in here (depends on definition). What about the
desktop? The desktop going away, gradually.

Mobile Processor Sales Continue to Surpass Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Shipments of processors designed for mobile PCs continued to lead the market,
| growing 26.6% in 3Q07, reflecting considerable worldwide demand for mobile
| PCs in the second half of the year. Shipments of processors for desktop PCs
| and for PC servers also fared rather well, increasing by 7.7% and 4.6%,
| respectively.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/13913/mobile-processor-sales-continue-surpass-desktop

Not to worry... Microsoft does well at mobiles, right? Err... uh oh! Watch
links below...

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share.
`----                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com/2007/02/after-desktop-what.html

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03

Linux Growth Accelerates with Server Shipments in 4th QTR 2006

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Hardware/Linux_Growth_Accelerates_with_Server_Shipments_in_4th_QTR_2006