Re: Linux Opens up While Conquering the Phone Market "So WHERE THE HELL IS LINUX HIDING????????"

On Nov 1, 9:27 pm, arkady.dun...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Nov 1, 8:26 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Coming Soon -- the Fully-Customizable Linux Phone
>
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | The Linux revolution is making a run for the smart phone market. This isn't
> > | exactly new news. In fact, Linux started taking off in the cell phone market
> > | in about 2003.
>
> Does it run on the iPhone?

Apple chose to put UNIX on the iPhone instead of Linux.  I'm really
not even sure of that.  Does anybody know more of the technical
details?  Who knows?

> Please let us know what year the Linux phone reaches the first weeks
> sales figures for the iPhone.

Motorola has been selling Linux phones in Asia and Europe for years.
In the US, the Carriers are very fussy about not wanting phone buyers
to be able to switch carriers by swtiching CIM chips.  In much of the
rest of the world, it's a requirement.

http://www.news.com/2100-1001-984424.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,108556-page,1/article.html

http://www.tuxmobile.org/phones_linux.html

Keep in mind, none of these phones are going to give you a shell
prompt, or show the penguin Logo on the cover, it's not a license
requirement of Linux.  Maybe that should be a stipulation of GPL-V3 is
that any product put the word GNU - in a prominant location on the
phone - Has Richard trademarked that?