[News] Software Patents Discourage Innovation, Promote Monopolies and Bullies

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents Discourage Innovation, Promote Monopolies and Bullies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:08:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Telling the Truth About Software Patents and Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Would abolishing software patents, then, lessen innovation among large
| companies? Again, no. IBM, Microsoft and Oracle were founded before software
| could be patented. They couldn't afford to quit innovating simply because
| patent protection became unavailable.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20071101145010612

Speaking of bullies:

Tech Companies Paid Lobbyist $300,000

,----[ Quote ]
| Over 60 companies and trade associations, including Microsoft Corp. and Apple
|                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Inc., have formed the Coalition for Patent Fairness, which paid Elmendorf
| Strategies to lobby Congress in support of patent reform legislation,
| according to the form posted online Aug. 14 by the Senate's public records
| office.
|
| The companies say the reform proposals will reduce frivolous patent
| litigation and lead to higher-quality patents. Biotech and pharmaceutical
| firms, meanwhile, charge that the bills currently before Congress will weaken
| patent protection.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071101/tech_companies_lobbying.html?.v=1

Related:

Playing Microsoft Patent Poker

,----[ Quote ]
| This time though, while Ballmer slinks away to try to con … convince people
| that Microsoft Unified Communications somehow offers people more than what
| Cisco's VOIP (voice over IP) been offering customers for years, a patent
| attack finally launches at Linux. Specifically, IP Innovation, a subsidiary
| of Acacia Technologies Group, has filed a patent infringement claim against
| Linux distributors Novell and Red Hat.
|
| So was it just timing, or was it something more? Let's take a look at the
| players.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2201579,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Is Acacia link with Microsoft just smoke?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is all this smoke just coincidence? It may well be. But the smoke gets
| thicker by the day.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1587

Prior Art - What's a Claim Limitation?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a 2005 case, so a lot has happened in the meantime. Oh, and if you are
| looking for prior art, the patent to look at first would be the oldest one of
| the ones IP Innovation has claimed in the Red Hat litigation. That is the one
| that I think needs to be knocked out either by prior art or by obviousness.

Patent Sanity

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4168