[News] Microsoft SharePoint Lockin Gets Challenged by IBM and Mainsoft

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft SharePoint Lockin Gets Challenged by IBM and Mainsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:41:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mainsoft solves SharePoint trap

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainsoft has solved the problem of SharePoint exclusivity, enabling secure
| data transfers between a SharePoint store and an IBM Websphere portal.
|
| [...]
|
| It won’t be cheap, but it’s going to get easier, for enterprises to escape
| the SharePoint trap.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1701

Related:

Could SharePoint Be Microsoft’s New Mode of Lock-In?

,----[ Quote ]
| This could be a tough one for IT leaders. Business users are comfortable with
| Microsoft. They know how to use the Office interface, and apparently like it
| to the point users will create their own mini-BI tools from Excel and opt out
| of the corporate system. But, if Asay’s right, vendor lock-in could cause
| unforeseen problems or major costs down the road.
|
| After reading Asay’s column and the interview with Nicholls, at least you’ll
| know which questions to ask before investing in either SharePoint or an
| alternative solution.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/mia/?p=198

Sharepoint and Firefox: no rich editor for you

,----[ From the comment ]
| I am "forced" to use Sharepoint at work, but at least I'd like
| to use my Linux machine to write wiki pages. These guys at MS
| definitely don't know what they're doing...
`----

http://www.timheuer.com/blog/archive/2006/12/06/13939.aspx

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Competition for Microsoft & Co.: Mindquarry Forms Up With an Open Source Team
Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Launch for a user friendly and easy to use teamwork software: since
| Feb. 28th 2007, Mindquarry offers the first Open Source alternative
| to Microsoft's Sharepoint Server or IBM's Lotus Connections.
`----

http://www.pr-inside.com/competition-for-microsoft-amp-co-r58135.htm

OpenOffice extension rivals SharePoint

,----[ Quote ]