[News] [Rival] Proprietary iPhone Firmware May Hide Spyware-like Behaviour

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Proprietary iPhone Firmware May Hide Spyware-like Behaviour
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:13:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
EXCLUSIVE: Apple Secretly Tracking iPhone IMEI and Usage (with proof)

,----[ Quote ]
| As I sit here applying a new layer of Reynolds tin foil to my international
| hat of conspiracy, its been proven that Apple tracks iPhone usage and tracks
| IEMI numbers of all their iPhones worldwide. Hidden in the code of
| the “Stocks” and “Weather” widgets is a string that sends the IMEI of your
| phone to a specialized URL that Apple collects.
`----

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12686/

Another reason to use open source phones.

Related:

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Reaction to Google's Android Is Positive, Cautious

,----[ quote ]
| Serdar Yegulalp, writing in Information Week, wrote on Wednesday that he had
| a "hard time not jumping up and down with glee" when he first saw the user
| interface implemented in a Google-made video on YouTube. He said he wondered
| if other interfaces that use Android will be so well designed, particularly
| at the lower price range.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071115/bs_nf/56748

Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

,----[ Quote ]
| The release to developers of Google's Linux-based Android operating system
| for mobile phones reveals that the prototype software shares at least a few
| aspects in common with interfaces from the company's Bay Area neighbor,
| Apple.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/12/google_android_dev_kit_exposes_apple_inspired_roots.html

Nokia pushes for GTK+ 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| During this years GUADEC Andreas Proschofsky had the chance to sit down with
| Carlos Guerreiro, Nokias Manager for Open Source Software, to talk - amidst
| other things - about the not so different needs of personal computers and
| mobile devices, about the necessity for GTK+ 3.0 and the impact of the iPhone
| launch.
`----

http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=2983710

Nokia director speaks on Linux, open source

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the launching pad you need to stand on to be productive," said
| Nokia's open source director, Ari Jaaksi, at LinuxWorld Wednesday. "We have
| never managed to bring out a product in such a short time, with so few
| resources," he added, referring to Nokia's Linux-based Internet tablets.

Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18681/Apple-to-Brick-Modded-iPhones-Apple-Boycott/