Re: [News] Kubuntu 7.10 Impresses Reviewer, Works Very Well

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Kubuntu Gutsy [7.10 Review]
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Kubuntu Gutsy is an exceptionally polished KDE based distribution, easily
> | equal with the enterprise-oriented SuSE Linux in the workplace and possibly a
> | simpler and easier experience for the home user. All aspects of laptop usage
> | excel - even suspend to ram is working on my Vaio TX - and the application
> | feature set covers all bases. Congratulations Kubuntu devs - you’ve done it
> | again, and it just gets better.
> `----
>
> http://canllaith.org/?page_id=48

I fully agree with this, Kubuntu has replaced openSUSE on my GNU/Linux
boxes. It's fast, even on my outdated 2002 Dell OptiPlex 240 GX with
only 384 MiB RAM, Pentium IV 1.70 CPU and nVIDIA Geoforce 2 MX400 (64
MiB VRAM) gpu.

Currently however I use Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and added KDE and
Kubuntu-desktop.

If I want eyecandy I use KDE with Compiz-Fusion and Superkaramba, if I
need a more responsive environment (for example to play FPS games) I use
GNOME.

However in fact It doesn't really matter what distribution you actually use.

One great thing about most distributions is the package management. DEB
based distributions have apt-get, synaptic and Adept. RPM based
distributions have YUM. In most cases "dependency hell" isn't any longer
an issue.

This is one of the things I love most about GNU/Linux, you are able to
install software and even drivers, and be productive at the same time.
On Windows for example you have to quit what you where doing while
installing a software package, in many cases you also have to reboot the
machine, which is pretty inefficient.

Beside that, try to install Windows XP on a second hand machine. You
will have to search the web for drivers, which can take quite some time,
especially if you don't know what hardware is included. On GNU/Linux in
general this isn't an issue at all.

This is what I've seen the last five years. Advanced users are
efficiency freaks and go for GNU/Linux, the Average Joe users stick with
Microsft, because they are clueless.

Do I *love* GNU/Linux? Yup!
Am I a "Linux Zealot"? Who cares, you can always ignore it :-)

Cheers
--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com