[News] ATI Linux Advantage over Vista Made More Apparent

  • Subject: [News] ATI Linux Advantage over Vista Made More Apparent
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:35:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Serious ATI bug makes Vista virtually unusable for some

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past few weeks I’ve been working on trying to isolate a problem
| between Windows Vista and ATI graphics cards where the display driver stops
| responding and sometimes recovers and sometimes doesn’t.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=933

ATI performance may be better in Linux than in Vista (open source drivers
aside). No wonder support for Linux among game makers is increasing.

Computer role-playing games for GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Of all the various types of computers games out there, my favorite is the
| computer role-playing game, or CRPG for short. Almost everyone has heard of
| classic CRPGs like Ultima, Baldur’s Gate, and Fall Out, but what about free
| software CRPGs? In this article, I take a peek at what’s out there.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/role_playing_games_gnu_linux

Recent:

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
| Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
| was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
| 1050.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=897&num=3

SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

,----[ Quote ]
| This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
| thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
`----

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2007/07/sl-speed-showdo.html

[Microsoft MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
| Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
| natively under Windows XP Professional.
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/