Re: If msft were to cease operations today...

Mike wrote:

> Yes, good article.  Although I disagree that there would be a massive
> vacuum, IMO it would eliminate the massive vacuum that is attached to
> corporate America's checkbook.  I don't know why some think the world
> would come to a grinding halt if msft suddenly disappeared, it's not like
> the windows OS would stop working (at least not any more than it normally
> does).

Existing installs may continue to keep running (at least until the lack of
patches lets enough malware through bring it down) but clean installs would
be stuffed as no clean unpatched windows install is safe to use for more
than a standalone networkless machine and any install of a version newer
than 2000 would automaticall break after 30 days as their crappy WGA and
activation servers would cease to exist.

Why do companies continue to bet their business continuity on a company that
can effectively pull the plug on any products they've sold in the last 7
years at any time they feel like it and there's nothing you can do about it
- who wants to bet on what happens to the ability to activate XP once it's
unsupported for example.

For 98 and ME they've killed the ability to get patches (not just new ones,
existing patches cannot be obtained from update site either - last time I
tried the site thinks 98 and ME machines are apple Macs), for XP it's
likely they'll switch off the ability to even use a clean install for more
than 30 days.