Re: Acacia patents pre-compiling and linking ..

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 13 November 2007 19:31 : \____

>>> ____/ BearItAll on Monday 12 November 2007 14:49 : \____

>>> USPTO is going to collapse. Well, I don't think GW cares about it. Chaos is
>>> his thing.
>>>

>> In a way, that might not be a bad outcome.  Just let the whole thing
>> collapse in a mire of its own incompetence, inability to change with the
>> times and inappropriateness.
>
> PJ has just pulled this interesting bit:
>
> FSFLA News Issue #15
>
> "Besides, CAFTA also requires the acceptance of any patents granted by the US
> Patent Office, including patents on ideas applied to software, mathematical
> algorithms, living matter and so on, and extends the copyright monopoly to at
> least 70 years past the death of the author.
>
> An interesting topic to review regarding FTAs [Free Trade Agreements] is how,
> in several cases, signing such an agreement places the legal norms in a
> country in check. For example, in Mexico today there is an important confusion
> regarding software patents that did not exist before the FTA: Mexican patent
> legislation explicitly states that computer programs are not patentable (just
> like corresponding legislation in Argentina and Brazil). Nevertheless, the
> Mexican Patent Office has been granting software patents, in accordance with
> the FTA with USA, which brings a major uncertainty to the Mexican community."
>
> http://www.fsfla.org/?q=en/node/117
>
> It's interesting because it's getting to be similar in the UK. Free Software
> Magazine had an article about this recently.
>
> BTW Doug, many of your good finds are in News Picks now.

It amazes me how willingly the Mexican government, and the Canadian
government, and the Australian government were to give up their
sovereignty to the US.  We have loads of debates here about loss of
sovereignty to the EU, but at least we get to vote for EU politicians,
whereas Canadians, Mexicans and Aussies have no say in US Politics at
all, they've just handed over part of their governance to a foreign
power, indeed, one with a massive track record of being almost entirely
inward looking until its arms manufacturers need some cash.