Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 09:33 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 01:00 : \____
>
>>> And look at that UK site TVLinks getting shut down, and the owner
>>> *arrested*, just for providing /links/ to TV programmes.
>>>
>>> IP insanity.
>>
>> What?!?!! Link?
>
> .----
> | NetDanzr writes "TV Links, a Web site that provided links to
> | hundreds of movies, documentaries, TV shows and cartoons hosted on
> | streaming media sites such as Google Video and YouTube, has been
> | raided by UK authorities. The site's operator was also arrested,
> | The Guardian reports. Even though the site has not hosted any
> | pirated content, it was a thorn in the side of movie and TV
> | studios, thanks to having links to newest movies and TV shows. As
> | the largest site of its kind, it showcased the power of user-driven
> | Internet, with the site's visitors helping to keep links to content
> | constantly updated."
> `----
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/19/1846236&from=rss
>
> Great! So YouTube "breaks the law", but it's just some guy who posts the
> YouTube /link/ that gets shut down and arrested.

Yup. Easier target. He can't go to court and defend himself like Google can, so
it's cheaper and easier.

> And as for "breaking the law" - even /that/ is bollocks. Some low grade,
> 30 second clip should be protected by fair-use rights. Look at the fuss
> Prince made over a barely recognisable and muffled clip of one of his
> songs, in a home video that was posted to YouTube:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/30/pennsylvania_mom_sues_universal_over_prince_laden_video_clip/

I think it was only 29 seconds and he's making an ass out of himself when he
C&Ds his own fans (sites). Then again, even the negative publicity makes him
more famous.

> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KfJHFWlhQ
>
> Oh look, I just broke the law. Better call the police and have them
> execute me by lethal injection, for posting a /link/ to a Prince song.
>
> Do these record execs / film studios / artists really think that these
> low-grade Flash clips are worth pursuing, and that people really use
> them as alternatives to DVD quality products, without ever buying the
> real thing? How bloody greedy can they get? Running around like a bunch
> of vigilante thugs, playing whack-a-mole with people's home videos. It's
> sickening.
>
> "Intellectual Property" is a concept worthy of an Orwell novel.

Well, the RIAA is like a farm of animals.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
 12:20:01 up 12 days, 16:18,  3 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.80, 0.90