Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 01:00 : \____
>
>>> And look at that UK site TVLinks getting shut down, and the owner
>>> *arrested*, just for providing /links/ to TV programmes.
>>>
>>> IP insanity.
>>
>> What?!?!! Link?
>
> .----
>| NetDanzr writes "TV Links, a Web site that provided links to
>| hundreds of movies, documentaries, TV shows and cartoons hosted on
>| streaming media sites such as Google Video and YouTube, has been
>| raided by UK authorities. The site's operator was also arrested,
>| The Guardian reports. Even though the site has not hosted any
>| pirated content, it was a thorn in the side of movie and TV
>| studios, thanks to having links to newest movies and TV shows. As
>| the largest site of its kind, it showcased the power of user-driven
>| Internet, with the site's visitors helping to keep links to content
>| constantly updated."
> `----
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/19/1846236&from=rss
>
> Great! So YouTube "breaks the law", but it's just some guy who posts the
> YouTube /link/ that gets shut down and arrested.
>
> And as for "breaking the law" - even /that/ is bollocks. Some low grade,
> 30 second clip should be protected by fair-use rights. Look at the fuss

The appropriate term in England and Wales law is "fair-deal"...
"fair-use" is a yank term.  I've no idea what other geographies use
here.

> Prince made over a barely recognisable and muffled clip of one of his
> songs, in a home video that was posted to YouTube:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/30/pennsylvania_mom_sues_universal_over_prince_laden_video_clip/
>
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KfJHFWlhQ
>
> Oh look, I just broke the law. Better call the police and have them
> execute me by lethal injection, for posting a /link/ to a Prince song.
>
> Do these record execs / film studios / artists really think that these
> low-grade Flash clips are worth pursuing, and that people really use
> them as alternatives to DVD quality products, without ever buying the
> real thing? How bloody greedy can they get? Running around like a bunch
> of vigilante thugs, playing whack-a-mole with people's home videos. It's
> sickening.
>
> "Intellectual Property" is a concept worthy of an Orwell novel.

Indeed.

I've spent some time exploring youtube, and most of the music related
material is short videos of concerts taken by fans using mobiles or
inexpensive video cameras from within the audience.  Or, in some cases,
they are ancient tape recordings of eg., TOTP or similar, uploaded.
Only a real fan could possibly be interested in such things - there is
no way such material is saleable in any accepted normal sense - it's
fanzine stuff.

Flash movies are hardly a replacement for a divx, let alone a
full-quality DVD.

The real issue here is that the record companies are becoming
increasinly irrelevant...