Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 11 November 2007 22:27 : \____

http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/security/news/index.cfm?articleid=2248&pagtype=allchantopdate

>> And this is the deployment Microsoft brags about in its anti-Linux ads.
>>

> Oh god, the idiots... what were they thinking about?  Heads will surely
> roll a very very long long way on this one.  Probably all the way into
> the Thames, I should imagine.
>
> Outage.  Microsoft.  Surprised?  You shouldn't be.

Microsoft bets a lot on this deployment. They probably have breathtaking
redundancy levels (like entire duplicate clusters just in case the bad patch
kicks in or WGA has a false positive).

Microsoft's idealogy must be that if they can throw x3 the cost on some major
deployment and then invest x300 the normal advertising cost to say something
like "stock exchange... HATES Linux", then the sheeple will assume that the
sky is falling on GNU/Linux and that Windows actually works...

...Never mind if you pay x10 to handle the same workload. In due time, the cost
will be _assumed part of the situation_... just as people assume that a new
(Vista) PC should cost $700 if decent performance  is needed (Linux costs
about $300 and it has a lot more software)...

... also assuming that viruses/defragging/reboot are a reality to cope with
(because, frankly, There's No Other Way(TM), say our friends at Redmond).

It's the Big Lie. I've been hearing the phrase elsewhere as well... quite
recently in fact.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
Cpu(s): 26.0%us,  4.3%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.3%id,  4.1%wa,  0.2%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st