[News] eWeek is Impressed by OpenOffice.org 2.3

  • Subject: [News] eWeek is Impressed by OpenOffice.org 2.3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 03:49:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenOffice.org 2.3 Impresses

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org 2.3 sports a nifty set of feature improvements, but the
| suite's sweetest features remain its low cost (free) and its strikingly broad
| platform support.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2224467,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Microsoft has a lot of anti-OpenOffice.org FUD going on. It comes from
Microsoft executives, 'analysts' that Microsoft hires, and various other
proxies. Such FUD should be illegalised, but it appears to be legitimate in
the States.

Related:

Office software shootout: OpenOffice.org Writer vs. Micosoft Word, round three

,----[ Quote ]
| As in the previous two comparisons, Writer emerged as the winner in the
| majority of categories. However, in many categories, the decision is not as
| obvious as in previous comparisons. For the first time in several releases,
| Word's designers seem to be making significant changes. These changes are not
| always successful -- in fact, the reordering of menus into ribbons might be
| seen by the cynical as an attempt to hide some long-term embarrassments, such
| as the ongoing problems with master documents. But at least the effort is
| being made. Writer, by contrast, seems to be standing still, and some of its
| problems -- notably, cross-references -- are almost as long-neglected as some
| of Word's.
|
| As free software, Writer has advantages that Word is unlikely to match -- its
| philosophy, its price, its easy availability, and its frequent updates.
| However, speaking only in terms of functionality, Writer seems to be coasting
| a little on its reputation. If that continues, its superiority may be eroded,
| or dissolved altogether.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118986

Vietnam Switches to OpenOffice.org!

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 20,000 computers from Party offices nationwide will switch to using
| OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office from early 2008.
`----

http://saigontimes.com.vn/daily/BRIEFs.asp?loai=1&Sobao=3022&Ten=briefly%20today

Kimpel: A sweet office software suite need not cost an arm and leg

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently in its second version, OO.o provides solutions that are on par, and
| in many ways superior to Microsoft Office. Even those who already have
| Microsoft Office installed may consider a switch. At a sticker price of $0,
| you almost can't afford not to give it a try.
|
| The most notable benefit of OO.o is its ability to easily read virtually any
| office software file formats (including MS Office). Also, because it uses an
| open-standard format for its own files, OO.o provides documents with
| generally excellent cross-software portability.
`----

http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19037684&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475590&rfi=6

Thailand: Egat turns to open source to cut costs

,----[ Quote ]
| There are 7,000 PC units based on Open Office or 70 per cent of all 12,000 PC
| units in the organisation.
`----

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/28/technology/technology_30046747.php

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon's official response explained the business rationale behind
| offering support for OpenOffice.org: "OpenOffice.org has becomep
| henomenally successful, Sun alone has shipped more than 70 million
| copies of OpenOffice.org 2.0," he said. "Out there, there
| are maybe 100 million copies of OpenOffice.org. It would be
| senseless to ignore that opportunity."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html

Tyler Tech: Open-source a software alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org is, as the name would suggest, a full open-source suite of
| office programs. Every program a student ever needs is in here, from a
| writing program to a presentation creator similar to PowerPoint. The suite
| was originally developed by Sun Microsystems and was aimed solely at
| providing a free alternative to Microsoft Office. It is compatible with and
| can save files as any Microsoft Office format.
`----

http://media.www.thetowerlight.com/media/storage/paper957/news/2007/10/22/Life/Tyler.Tech.OpenSource.A.Software.Alternative-3045983.shtml

Dell Offers Ubuntu, What About OpenOffice?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the IdeaStorm website, pre-installed OpenOffice is
| "Under Consideration," which appears to be just below "Coming
| Soon" in their hierarchy of possible implementation. Let's
| hope it moves to "Already Offered" soon!
`----

http://www.solidoffice.com/archives/552

Open Office vs. Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| This has been just a short overview comparing Open Office to Microsoft
| Office to demonstrate that you don't have to pay a lot of money to get
| a great Office Suite.  In fact, you may not have to spend any money to
| get a great Office Suite.
`----

http://www.ubuntunoob.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1

Microsoft Office or OpenOffice?

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's turn to Microsoft Office. Again, it brings in a ton of
| revenue to Redmond, even though there are full office productivity
| suites that compete with it. My guess is that many of you can't
| name one though -- and that is what Microsoft counts on, which is
| branding power. The full-featured OpenOffice productivity suite
| is pretty darn impressive (I've used it), and it's completely
| free and interoperable with Microsoft Office (not sure about
| Office 2007). Why don't more people use it then? Lack of knowing
| it exists is a possibility, and having to download the suite or
| order it for about $10 on CD may be obstacles. Plus, you can't
| find it on Best Buy shelves. If customers start becoming smarter
| and find out out about OpenOffice or even Google Inc.'s Google
| Apps, could a large piece of Microsoft's kingdom come
| crashing down?
|

| [Disclosure: I own MSFT shares as of 5-29-07]
`----

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/05/29/microsoft-office-or-openoffice/

NeoOffice: It's Ready for Primetime

,----[ Quote ]
| Four weeks ago I decided to try using Neo Office, the Open Source
| word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing program. Neo
| Office is based on Open Office which was created by Sun Microsystems,
| and then released out into the wild as an Open Source project. It
| was developed to work on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
`----

http://www.surfbits.com/?p=1160

Chinese software company to tailor OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| RedFlag produces a Chinese variation of OpenOffice.org called
| RedOffice. The company is a subsidiary of the Chinese Academy of Science.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722855-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

IBM Adds Lotus Notes Code To OpenOffice Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The stakes are high as an increasing number of government and enterprise
| software buyers are insisting that the applications they purchase conform to
| internationally recognized standards.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201805296&cid=nl_IWK_daily

IBM to give OpenOffice the Outlook e-mail killer it needs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Has the Outlook killer for OpenOffice finally arrived?
|
| OpenOffice is the most promising open source alternative to Microsoft Office
| that runs on most Linux distributions, Windows, Macintosh and BSD but to date
| it has lacked an integrated e-mail service such as the Outlook client that is
| integrated in Microsoft Office.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1401

Why OpenOffice Needs IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| Contributing to an open source Outlook effort would help IBM, OpenOffice, and
| all of us in search of a great PIM-Email-Address Book solution.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Greenfield/?p=113

Touch of button opens up IBM open source technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| The syndication tool allows users to access a wide range of open source
| technologies across a variety of topics including Web 2.0 technologies, game
| development and Web innovation through a web site called IBM developerWorks.
`----

http://media-newswire.com/release_1053946.html

Migrating a city government to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1264406,00.html